Beautiful Evening Stalking Game After an Hectic Day

Place: Långhundra häradUppland, Sweden
Coordinates: Lat: 59.75041, Lon: 17.91107
Time: 1 day in September

After an hectic day it's an amazing feeling to pack my hunting gear and head out into the green silence. The hunting method I like the most is Stalking and Still Hunting. This is the practice of walking quietly in search of animals or in pursuit of an individual animal. To slowly and totally focused wander around in nature gives me a special bound to my surroundings and the individuals living in it. Stalk Hunting comes with a big responsibility, not only regarding safety, as I'm moving around most of the time. It's important I'm updated on what activities may be taking place on the hunting grounds.





This evening I hope to catch me a Roe Deer Buck, But other legal game at the moment is also; FoxBadgerHare and Wild Boar. Unfortunately it seems that the Fox has outnumbered the Deer in the area this season; as I don't see any Roe Deer on the grounds. Instead I see a lot of colorful mushrooms and berries out in the calm woods.





The weather is perfect and after a couple of hours scouting the woods I sit down on the edge of a field awaiting dusk. A large Hare catches my attention, but I can't get close enough before he takes off into the woods.




I decide to place myself hidden in between two Sprice finishing up for this evening. An just as it's about to get dark I see movement to my far right. I immediately recognize that it's a beautiful Fox trotting along the forest line looking for his evening snack. no time to waste, need to be as still as possible as I'm arranging my gear for action. My rifle is already pointing in the direction I'm guessing the animal is heading. In a moment; when the Fox appear in my scope I' don't have time to hesitate; I need to make a really quick decision to shoot or not, pending on how good my angle is. When he's 50 meters from me I give a soft whistle to get him to stop... Bang!... The Fox drops instantly. And then it's all quiet again... I'm looking through my scope, ready for a second shoot if needed. But the only thing moving in the quiet is my pulsating temples.

I have a grateful feeling spreading in my chest. I truly needed this to regain my self esteem after my failure wounding a Fox a couple of days ago. I count it to 50 meters as I approach the fallen game. It's a fully grown male (the scale is about to show 8 kilos) and the fur is very nice for this time a year. My .222 Rem is perfectly placed and it's a good feeling thinking about more Roe Deer fawns reaching adult age from not getting snatched by this experienced Fox anymore.




This got to be one of my best hunting moments so far. Truly grateful to be able to experience this. The stress I felt earlier today is now all gone as I'm driving my pickup truck through the darkness... This is what I call seizing the moment!


På Svenska